Skip to main content

Foreshadowing in "Strawberry Spring" - Night Shift

This story, "Strawberry Spring", was actually a story in Night Shift that I read quite a while ago. 129 pages ago to be exact. I wanted to post about this story a while ago, but I couldn't get around to it because of "Battleground". Anyways, I enjoyed this story because it employed many writing elements that caught my attention. In this post I will review one of them, foreshadowing.

"Strawberry Spring" is about life on a community college campus that is haunted by a serial killer dubbed "Springheel Jack". The campus is brought strawberry spring, a sort of "fake" spring. This spring brought along an occasional thick fog, and with this fog brought Springheel Jack. Every time the fog shrouded over the campus, a person was killed. It is unknown who the killer is until it is revealed in the end of the book.

WARNING
* SPOILER ALERT *

THE KILLER IS THE NARRATOR

* SPOILER ALERT *
WARNING

That's right the killer is the narrator. There are many things throughout the story that lead up to this twist ending. For instance there is the time where the narrator first displays the possibility that he could be the killer It says, "Who is to say that one of the shadows was not the man or the thing came to be known as Springheel Jack? Not I, for I passed many shadows..." Another example from when the narrator was driving back home from college, "I had my own car on campus, and I took six people downstate with me, their luggage crammed in helter-skelter. It wasn't a pleasant ride. For all any of us knew, Springheel Jack might have been in the car with us." In this quote it is implied that the killer could be any person in the car, and later it is revealed that the narrator is that person. This is revealed when in the text 8 years later in the story, "This morning's paper says a girl was killed on the New Sharon campus near the Civil War cannons... I can hear my wife as I write this, in the next room, crying. She thinks I was with another woman last night. And oh dear God, I think do too."

I really liked this story for it's foreshadowing, though the actual foreshadowing was invisible to me until the end when it was revealed who the killer was. When it was revealed everything just came together and I was able to have an " Ah Hah!" moment. 
Apparently a "Springheel Jack" is a mythological
creature depicted as such. 

There are many urban legends about "Springheel Jack". You can find some of them from wikipedia here:

Comments

  1. what is your last name? I am using your blog for my article and I need to cite it, but I need your last name.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Night Shift - Battleground" by Stephen King

I don't know much about this movie, but  I heard it's about a rubber wheel that kills people. I dunno, don't ask. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ For this blog post, I will still be covering the book Night Shift  by Stephen King. Right now I am a little over 100 pages and honestly, the stories have been getting to be a little lackluster lately. I mean, there's been one called "The Mangler" and it was about a possessed ironing machine that enjoyed killing people. Yeah. Kinda like that movie over there ------------> Anyways, let's get on with Night Shift . After all the dumb stories about killer rats and ironing machines and whatnot, I reached a story that I knew I would enjoy at the very beginning. It's called "Battleground", and it starts on page 117. And I don't like this story because it was actually scary like it was supposed to be. I liked it because of its absolutely novel idea of conflict. In "Battleground" you follow a man na

Beginning Ingledove

Welp, back at blogging, I suppose... The book that I picked randomly off a bookshelf and will share with you today is called Ingledove  by Marly Youmans. If you want to ask me what I'll expect from this book then expect a pathetic response since I've only read the summary. The summary tells about two siblings who happen upon a fabled civilization in the mountains call "Adantis" (Atlantis?) where Ingledove's brother is very vaguely described to be kidnapped or taken or stabbed. I don't know the details, the summary says "drawn to a place of death", so maybe it's a literal place of death? Anyways, Ingledove is caught in  quest to save her brother from whatever it is that's killing him. What I expect is a fantasy adventure where the main character must undergo several trials in order to reach her goal. The author of the book, Marly Youmans, is an author I've never heard of before. After finding a Wikipedia article about her I found that