Skip to main content

Beginning Ingledove

Welp, back at blogging, I suppose...

The book that I picked randomly off a bookshelf and will share with you today is called Ingledove by Marly Youmans. If you want to ask me what I'll expect from this book then expect a pathetic response since I've only read the summary. The summary tells about two siblings who happen upon a fabled civilization in the mountains call "Adantis" (Atlantis?) where Ingledove's brother is very vaguely described to be kidnapped or taken or stabbed. I don't know the details, the summary says "drawn to a place of death", so maybe it's a literal place of death? Anyways, Ingledove is caught in  quest to save her brother from whatever it is that's killing him. What I expect is a fantasy adventure where the main character must undergo several trials in order to reach her goal.


The author of the book, Marly Youmans, is an author I've never heard of before. After finding a Wikipedia article about her I found that she is quite the poet, writing several books filled with short poems. I also found that this very book I'm blogging about had received a few awards for the Adult Fiction genre. Sounds promising. The cover does help its case as well. It shows the two siblings in a boat traveling down deep, dark waters. This certainly creates a mysterious mood that may benefit the story considering its about a hidden kingdom. In the background you can see faint figures of musical notes as if drawing the siblings in. The summary did mention something about music luring the brother into danger. I am mildly excited to start reading this book already.

Comments

  1. I hope you enjoy this book. Reading from a new author may be exciting? I have never heard of this book or this author before. Youmans' book seems to be a mystery. I am intrigued by everything given to you by the summary. It seems like its trying to have you piece together the happenings of this character. Well, I hope this book is as exciting as it seems, and I hope you find Marly Youmans to be an author you can continue reading from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds interesting and cool. I hope you like it. Marly Youmans is an interesting author. Never heard of her but i have of this book. I hope this isn't one of those "quest" books but it would be nice to find out what happens. Let me know if this is a worth reading book/author... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this book before, but the way you described it, makes it sound exciting! Great job on describing the plot, and the setting, it really helped me to truly visualize what you were talking about. Cool post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a truly interesting book and I can't wait to hear more about the book, especially after hearing about all the accolades the author has received.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Foreshadowing in "Strawberry Spring" - Night Shift

This story, "Strawberry Spring", was actually a story in Night Shift  that I read quite a while ago. 129 pages ago to be exact. I wanted to post about this story a while ago, but I couldn't get around to it because of "Battleground". Anyways, I enjoyed this story because it employed many writing elements that caught my attention. In this post I will review one of them, foreshadowing. "Strawberry Spring" is about life on a community college campus that is haunted by a serial killer dubbed "Springheel Jack". The campus is brought strawberry spring, a sort of "fake" spring. This spring brought along an occasional thick fog, and with this fog brought Springheel Jack. Every time the fog shrouded over the campus, a person was killed. It is unknown who the killer is until it is revealed in the end of the book. WARNING * SPOILER ALERT * THE KILLER IS THE NARRATOR * SPOILER ALERT * WARNING That's right the killer i

"Night Shift - Battleground" by Stephen King

I don't know much about this movie, but  I heard it's about a rubber wheel that kills people. I dunno, don't ask. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ For this blog post, I will still be covering the book Night Shift  by Stephen King. Right now I am a little over 100 pages and honestly, the stories have been getting to be a little lackluster lately. I mean, there's been one called "The Mangler" and it was about a possessed ironing machine that enjoyed killing people. Yeah. Kinda like that movie over there ------------> Anyways, let's get on with Night Shift . After all the dumb stories about killer rats and ironing machines and whatnot, I reached a story that I knew I would enjoy at the very beginning. It's called "Battleground", and it starts on page 117. And I don't like this story because it was actually scary like it was supposed to be. I liked it because of its absolutely novel idea of conflict. In "Battleground" you follow a man na