Skip to main content

Ingledove


Well, so far this book is turning out nothing like I expected.

For one thing, the main character's brother has not disappeared yet. The first chapter spent a few pages foreshadowing some big fiasco where the brother, Lang, will be held captive by some sort of snake monster. Now on their trip back to their home from visiting their parents graves Lang has yet to encounter much danger. Stemming from that, there hasn't been any sort of epic quest to save anybody. Instead the conflict of the story isn't saving Lang from a danger already encountered, but it's stopping him from encountering it in the first place. 


So to begin the book I decided to read in a huge splurge so that I didn't have to worry about it during spring break, so as such I was able to read about half way through. Now halfway through, my previous predictions of the book have scored no points.

Image result for marly youmans
Author of Ingledove:
Marly Youmans
As the siblings make their way back to their home Lang begins to hear a faint but beautiful voice in the air. Ingledove, remembering the prophecy told to them about Lang's future misfortune is stuck trying to stop him from following that voice. The story isn't bad, but I would've liked to see more things happening. There haven't been very large confrontations with a big bad enemy yet or anything of the sort so I haven't really been engrossed in the book. This is disappointing but not the end of the world. After all, I've already read quite a few fantasy books that relied on hack-and-slash action to keep me in, so this is a nice change of pace for me in the fantasy world. Let's just hope this version of fantasy can keep me immersed like the others.

Just because the story isn't as fast paced as I'm used to doesn't mean I've lost hope on the book. I'm sure it'll be able to hook me some other way that I haven't experienced yet. That being said, I'm predicting that this will happen soon. If not then the prophecy told in chapter 1 will surely save me.

That's  all I have to talk about so far so until two weeks from now I will keep finding more things to say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foreshadowing in "Strawberry Spring" - Night Shift

This story, "Strawberry Spring", was actually a story in Night Shift  that I read quite a while ago. 129 pages ago to be exact. I wanted to post about this story a while ago, but I couldn't get around to it because of "Battleground". Anyways, I enjoyed this story because it employed many writing elements that caught my attention. In this post I will review one of them, foreshadowing. "Strawberry Spring" is about life on a community college campus that is haunted by a serial killer dubbed "Springheel Jack". The campus is brought strawberry spring, a sort of "fake" spring. This spring brought along an occasional thick fog, and with this fog brought Springheel Jack. Every time the fog shrouded over the campus, a person was killed. It is unknown who the killer is until it is revealed in the end of the book. WARNING * SPOILER ALERT * THE KILLER IS THE NARRATOR * SPOILER ALERT * WARNING That's right the killer i

"Night Shift - Battleground" by Stephen King

I don't know much about this movie, but  I heard it's about a rubber wheel that kills people. I dunno, don't ask. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ For this blog post, I will still be covering the book Night Shift  by Stephen King. Right now I am a little over 100 pages and honestly, the stories have been getting to be a little lackluster lately. I mean, there's been one called "The Mangler" and it was about a possessed ironing machine that enjoyed killing people. Yeah. Kinda like that movie over there ------------> Anyways, let's get on with Night Shift . After all the dumb stories about killer rats and ironing machines and whatnot, I reached a story that I knew I would enjoy at the very beginning. It's called "Battleground", and it starts on page 117. And I don't like this story because it was actually scary like it was supposed to be. I liked it because of its absolutely novel idea of conflict. In "Battleground" you follow a man na

Beginning Ingledove

Welp, back at blogging, I suppose... The book that I picked randomly off a bookshelf and will share with you today is called Ingledove  by Marly Youmans. If you want to ask me what I'll expect from this book then expect a pathetic response since I've only read the summary. The summary tells about two siblings who happen upon a fabled civilization in the mountains call "Adantis" (Atlantis?) where Ingledove's brother is very vaguely described to be kidnapped or taken or stabbed. I don't know the details, the summary says "drawn to a place of death", so maybe it's a literal place of death? Anyways, Ingledove is caught in  quest to save her brother from whatever it is that's killing him. What I expect is a fantasy adventure where the main character must undergo several trials in order to reach her goal. The author of the book, Marly Youmans, is an author I've never heard of before. After finding a Wikipedia article about her I found that