Skip to main content

Grendel - Finished



After reading Grendel, I was more satisfied than I thought I would be. I expected the book to be boring and disgusting. After all, in the most general terms, you could just say it was just Grendel rambling on about how stupid he thinks everything is, and then proceeding to kill whatever he wants to kill for the heck of it. But upon further inspection, Grendel was much more than that. After I thought about it and I decided that it wasn't about killing and other peoples' stupidity, it was about a lonely being trying to cope with his feelings.

The book showed Grendel constantly around humans. Most of the time, he was observing them in their mead hall from someplace near. He started doing this when he was young, and as he grew older, as he began to realize just how lonely he is in the world, so he started doing it more. Later, he began to make fun of them because of their moronic values such as when villages invaded other villages for honor, or when they hold parties in their mead hall. Humans seeking out joy in their lives seems ridiculous to Grendel since he believes in nihilism, the philosophy that life has no meaning. However, he began to make fun of the humans because he was jealous of them for that same joy they seek and find. This is further supported when Grendel talks with the dragon, who's omnipotent knowledge foresees the end of the universe. Because the dragon know the world will eventually end, he claims that living life would be pointless, but Grendel is somewhat unsatisfied with the dragon's belief  because he wants to experience joy. However, it is hard for Grendel to experience joy because there is nobody who can experience joy with him.
The image of Grendel in the beginning
of the first chapter. The image seems
to depict Grendel weeping.

Instead, Grendel plays a game with the humans. He rushes into their village occasionally and terrorizes everyone. This is Grendel's only way to interact with other people, but unfortunately, it also eventually leads to his demise.

Through Grendel's characterization, I decided to create a theme statement that encompasses the story: In Grendel, John Gardner suggests that loneliness is a horrible condition that can do both mental and physical damage to someone.
This is supported when Grendel terrorizes the humans because he is lonely, and eventually is killed because of it.

Comments

  1. Just by looking at your first paragraph, I see that this sounds like a disturbing book. The story line, though scary, sounds very unique and interesting. I also like the fact that this book teaches a lesson, even if it was in a disturbing way. For anyone to feel lonely is bad, and like you said, does mental damage. Grendel did mass murder to cope with feeling lonely. Grendel sounds like a unique character and I'm glad he was able to teach a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you made your theme statement apply to regular life other than just the book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Foreshadowing in "Strawberry Spring" - Night Shift

This story, "Strawberry Spring", was actually a story in Night Shift  that I read quite a while ago. 129 pages ago to be exact. I wanted to post about this story a while ago, but I couldn't get around to it because of "Battleground". Anyways, I enjoyed this story because it employed many writing elements that caught my attention. In this post I will review one of them, foreshadowing. "Strawberry Spring" is about life on a community college campus that is haunted by a serial killer dubbed "Springheel Jack". The campus is brought strawberry spring, a sort of "fake" spring. This spring brought along an occasional thick fog, and with this fog brought Springheel Jack. Every time the fog shrouded over the campus, a person was killed. It is unknown who the killer is until it is revealed in the end of the book. WARNING * SPOILER ALERT * THE KILLER IS THE NARRATOR * SPOILER ALERT * WARNING That's right the killer i

"Night Shift - Battleground" by Stephen King

I don't know much about this movie, but  I heard it's about a rubber wheel that kills people. I dunno, don't ask. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ For this blog post, I will still be covering the book Night Shift  by Stephen King. Right now I am a little over 100 pages and honestly, the stories have been getting to be a little lackluster lately. I mean, there's been one called "The Mangler" and it was about a possessed ironing machine that enjoyed killing people. Yeah. Kinda like that movie over there ------------> Anyways, let's get on with Night Shift . After all the dumb stories about killer rats and ironing machines and whatnot, I reached a story that I knew I would enjoy at the very beginning. It's called "Battleground", and it starts on page 117. And I don't like this story because it was actually scary like it was supposed to be. I liked it because of its absolutely novel idea of conflict. In "Battleground" you follow a man na

Beginning Ingledove

Welp, back at blogging, I suppose... The book that I picked randomly off a bookshelf and will share with you today is called Ingledove  by Marly Youmans. If you want to ask me what I'll expect from this book then expect a pathetic response since I've only read the summary. The summary tells about two siblings who happen upon a fabled civilization in the mountains call "Adantis" (Atlantis?) where Ingledove's brother is very vaguely described to be kidnapped or taken or stabbed. I don't know the details, the summary says "drawn to a place of death", so maybe it's a literal place of death? Anyways, Ingledove is caught in  quest to save her brother from whatever it is that's killing him. What I expect is a fantasy adventure where the main character must undergo several trials in order to reach her goal. The author of the book, Marly Youmans, is an author I've never heard of before. After finding a Wikipedia article about her I found that