Skip to main content

The Absolutely True Diary Of A Part-Time Indian



Wow, that's one heck of a book title

Anyways, The Absolutely True Diary Of A Part-Time Indian is based off of the true story of an aspiring, Native American cartoonist. The character you follow is nicknamed Junior, and it is about his struggle of trying to be someone more than himself while at the same time, fighting the opposition of discrimination and the hardships of his life. It sounds like a serious story, but the narrator, Junior, tells it in a sarcastic, comical way that made me laugh several times. The setting of the story takes place in an Indian reservation. This is basically a community of poor Native American people.
One of the drawing's made by Junior in the book.
It compares his shortcomings as an Indian
to the opposite qualities of a white person.

When Junior decides to go to an all-white school instead of the school at the reservation, he is faced with all sorts of problems. He is the only Indian in the school and at first, he finds it hard to fit in. Not only this, but the Indians back at the reservation now see him as a traitor for being a "white lover" and trying to make a better life away from them. Even his best friend, Rowdy, turns his back on him when he switches schools.

Junior is one of my favorite characters to read about because I feel like anyone can relate to him. Sure, not everyone is put down and beaten up by their neighbors but everyone goes through hard times in their life every once in a while. Junior shows his weakness as a human being, and he also shows hope for anyone who is experiencing a difficult time in their life by showing how he was able to turn his own problems around.
After I finished the book, I felt happy. The story was about a boy who overcame all of his hardships when it seemed that all odds were stacked against him. For instance, his uncle, grandmother, and sister had died all in the same year while he was still struggling with his own problems with discrimination at his school. However, he was still able to make everything all better through hard work and determination. I think this is why I liked the book so much, whenever I have problems in my life, I tend to shrivel up and almost give up. But this book proves that any bad situation can be turned around, and now I know that I just have to get through any hardships life throws my way no matter what. This is why I decided to create a theme statement for this book: In The Absolutely True Diary Of A Part-Time Indian, Sherman Alexie suggests that any hardship can be overcome if you can work hard enough to get through it.


Comments

  1. I really liked this blog post. I totally agree with everything that you talked about.I am defiantly going to check this book out. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Foreshadowing in "Strawberry Spring" - Night Shift

This story, "Strawberry Spring", was actually a story in Night Shift  that I read quite a while ago. 129 pages ago to be exact. I wanted to post about this story a while ago, but I couldn't get around to it because of "Battleground". Anyways, I enjoyed this story because it employed many writing elements that caught my attention. In this post I will review one of them, foreshadowing. "Strawberry Spring" is about life on a community college campus that is haunted by a serial killer dubbed "Springheel Jack". The campus is brought strawberry spring, a sort of "fake" spring. This spring brought along an occasional thick fog, and with this fog brought Springheel Jack. Every time the fog shrouded over the campus, a person was killed. It is unknown who the killer is until it is revealed in the end of the book. WARNING * SPOILER ALERT * THE KILLER IS THE NARRATOR * SPOILER ALERT * WARNING That's right the killer i

"Night Shift - Battleground" by Stephen King

I don't know much about this movie, but  I heard it's about a rubber wheel that kills people. I dunno, don't ask. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ For this blog post, I will still be covering the book Night Shift  by Stephen King. Right now I am a little over 100 pages and honestly, the stories have been getting to be a little lackluster lately. I mean, there's been one called "The Mangler" and it was about a possessed ironing machine that enjoyed killing people. Yeah. Kinda like that movie over there ------------> Anyways, let's get on with Night Shift . After all the dumb stories about killer rats and ironing machines and whatnot, I reached a story that I knew I would enjoy at the very beginning. It's called "Battleground", and it starts on page 117. And I don't like this story because it was actually scary like it was supposed to be. I liked it because of its absolutely novel idea of conflict. In "Battleground" you follow a man na

Beginning Ingledove

Welp, back at blogging, I suppose... The book that I picked randomly off a bookshelf and will share with you today is called Ingledove  by Marly Youmans. If you want to ask me what I'll expect from this book then expect a pathetic response since I've only read the summary. The summary tells about two siblings who happen upon a fabled civilization in the mountains call "Adantis" (Atlantis?) where Ingledove's brother is very vaguely described to be kidnapped or taken or stabbed. I don't know the details, the summary says "drawn to a place of death", so maybe it's a literal place of death? Anyways, Ingledove is caught in  quest to save her brother from whatever it is that's killing him. What I expect is a fantasy adventure where the main character must undergo several trials in order to reach her goal. The author of the book, Marly Youmans, is an author I've never heard of before. After finding a Wikipedia article about her I found that